CMC Vellore Chittoor In Brief
Read more about the Chittoor campus on these web pages: Christian Medical College, Vellore: Chittoor Campus
Christian Medical College Vellore’s largest campus is in Chittoor District. It is around 29 km from the main CMC Vellore hospital, across the Tamil Nadu border in southern Andhra Pradesh. There are two tracts of land totalling around 640 acres.
Outpatient services started there in 2011, in the larger, North Campus. Since then a lot has happened. Now, this campus has
- A 130-bedded, secondary level, hospital with
- Four State-of-the-Art operating theatres
- Maternity services – with antenatal care, a labour room and nursery for the new born babies.
- Accident and Emergency services open all hours every day
- Investigations including laboratory tests and Xrays.
- A CT and radiology suite opened in October 2020
- On-site Pharmacy – with medicines for inpatients and outpatients
- A nursing School – with a BSc in Nursing
Read more about the departments on this page: Chittoor departments.
Chittoor during COVID times
Chittoor campus has adapted to the demands of the COVID pandemic. We were told they made an outside waiting area to allow social distancing and keep good air circulation. Visitors to the radiology suite saw just what this meant, the scale was larger than we they had anticipated.
Outside waiting areas
Most of the car parking area at Chittoor has been made into an outside waiting area. This ensures patients can wait and keep distance between family groups. The hospital also installed an outside hand wash area. Staff are present in these areas to help register patients and guide them through the process.
Other areas have been created to assess patients who may have a fever or other symptoms that may be COVID. Yet more patients wait patiently in the shade along the side of the road till they get to see the doctors.
Patient numbers at Chittoor have grown as the hospital has remained open during the pandemic. Other hospitals and clinics have had limited services. So, on October 13th the COVID numbers looked like this:
- 250 patients were admitted for level 2 and 3 care for COVID at Chittoor.
- Over 600 patients were home quarantined or treated for mild illness at home.
- Non-COVID related patients reached record levels for Chittoor.
- Outpatients topped 800 patients some days and
- Inpatients reached over 950 patients per month.
Can you help us continue to fight the COVID pandemic?
You can read about how the whole of CMC Vellore has adapted to COVID and how you can help here:
Join us in fighting the COVID pandemic: We are still fighting the battle. Can you help us?
Adapting to COVID: some of the ways supporters have helped CMC as we treat patients and fight to keep everyone safe.
Training at Chittoor
The Chittoor Campus Nursing College started in 2019 and so the first 50 students were selected for the BSc in Nursing in November 2019. There are also various Allied Health courses offered at Chittoor. In June 2020 the courses include:
- BSc Nursing
- Diploma Anaesthesia Technology
- Diploma Medical Laboratory Technology
- Diploma Hospital Sterilisation Technology
- Diploma in Optometry.
Read more about Admission to Chittoor courses here
Can You Help the Chittoor Hospital?
The hospital is growing fast and so we need grants and donations for capital projects. We also want to be able to give subsidised care for those who can’t afford the cost of their treatment.
Chittoor is one of the most deprived districts of Andhra Pradesh and the hospital caters mainly to the rural population and the townsfolk of Chittoor. This means that large numbers of patients cannot afford to pay the full cost for their treatment.
But you can help us to bridge the gap for those who cannot afford it, by donating to CMC Vellore Chittoor??
The key areas where we need your help now include:
Outpatient Clinic Rooms
Solar Energy Generating System
College of Nursing Building
Community Welfare Programs around Chittoor district.
More about CMC Vellore Chittoor
You can find out more about this vibrant campus by visiting these pages:
Christian Medical College, Vellore: Chittoor Campus
Changing waiting areas…
Chittoor has seen many changes over the last few years. Here are some photographs that show how the waiting rooms have changed. From empty seats to full seats to outside seats!